Wednesday, October 21, 2015

Week 9 Reading Feedback: Nivedita's Krishna

I was really worried about reading Nivedita's Krishna because there were no detailed reading guides for a reference in case I didn't understand a chapter. Surprisingly, I read the chapters just fine! I wouldn't call it the most interesting book in the world, but it definitely went straight to the point. I read about Krishna's birth, which caught my attention, and his adventures as a young boy. From Nivedita's book, I learned more than I thought about Krishna. He was portrayed as a powerful child god that played and joked around all the time. I wonder if the concept of optimism is popular in Indian culture because that what was Krishna reminded me of. He was a happy boy even when he faced the worst situations. Do you know what I did when I was twelve years old? I played with my stuffed animals and read countless Calvin and Hobbes comics (not ashamed of this at all). Then we have Krishna who defeated two demons as a baby and killed his uncle when he was twelve. Thanks for making the rest of us look bad, Krishna! Moreover, I recommend Nivedita's book to anyone who wants a quick read about Krisha's life. It's an easy read with short chapters. The chapters are available online which makes them more accessible. You can find the chapters here.

Calvin and Hobbes is another great read. Just saying.

My favorite comic book characters: Calvin and Hobbes. Source.


No comments:

Post a Comment