Wednesday, October 28, 2015

Week 10 Reading Feeback: Shiva

I had to switch my reading schedule because I didn't understand the reading for Kali the Mother by Nivedita. It was a short poem that described an eerie scene with dark trees and howling winds. Someone in the poem was trying to summon Kali I presumed. Then the poem continues talking about death and terror. Then there was a line that reads "Thou 'Time' the All-Destroyer, Then come, O Mother, Come!" I became confused when I read this line because it appears that Kali the Mother is known as the All-Destroyer? What is she destroying? With all the confusion, I decided to read about Shiva.

I began to read Nivedita's Shiva, which was a more interesting read. The part that appealed to me the most was the conflict between Shiva's wife, Sati, and her father. Sati's father despised Shiva although Shiva was portrayed as a beloved gentleman. The love between Sati and Shiva reminds of the relationship between Rama and Sita. Also the names Sati and Sita confuses me sometimes. I like reading Nivedita's books. Her chapters are short and straightforward. Hopefully I can find more of her books to read!

Shiva and Sati. Source.


No comments:

Post a Comment