Wednesday, October 28, 2015

Week 10 Growth Mindset

For this week's post I read an interesting article called The Force of a Growth Mindset vs. The Dark Side of the Static Mindset. This article relates growth mindset to the best series ever: Star Wars. I wouldn't consider myself the biggest Star Wars fan, but I have watched all the movies more than once. My brothers and I are so pumped for the new Stars Wars movie that is coming out this December. I can't wait! Moving on, an educator who was also a Star Wars fanatic related the growth mindset philosophy to Star Wars. He also provided the two infographics below:


Learning - Growth Mindset
Yoda represents the growth mindset. Source: mrkremerscience.com

https://mrkremerscience.files.wordpress.com/2014/12/learning-dark-side.jpg
Darth Vader represents the static mindset. Source: mrkremerscience.com


For those of you who are not familiar with Star Wars (you must watch it), the green character is named Yoda. He was Luke Skywalker's apprentice. In order to teach Luke the Jedi ways, Yoda taught Luke to see the world from a different perspective. Instead of fearing challenges, Yoda told Luke to trust himself and of course the Force within. Darth Vader is the villain of the series. He represents the static mindset. In the movies, Darth Vader felt threatened by anyone who is more powerful. He also allowed his fears to consume him which lead him to the dark side.

It was interesting to think back to the movies and realize how each character's actions fit the growth mindset and static mindset perfectly. Yoda believed that any challenge could be conquered if you had faith in yourself. There was no fear in Yoda's character, only wisdom. On the other hand, Darth Vader lashed out on the Republic and took his feedback in a negative manner. It really made me think how a different way of thinking could have two completely different outcomes. In other words, the way I perceive myself and my efforts could make me a Yoda or a Darth Vader.

1 comment:

  1. Star Wars is so great. That's interesting that they compare the two. I really want to find some relating to Harry Potter. My fiancée loves Harry Potter and it would be great for her to use it in her classroom next semester. Anyway, it awesome that you are doing these posts still. I like reading these of people I've read their intro already.

    ReplyDelete