Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Storytelling Week 4: Ravana and The Fates

Ravana tried convincing Sita to leave Rama and to marry him instead, but there was no hope. Sita remained loyal and faithful to Rama. Ravana offered her gifts, love, security, and a home, yet Sita refused. Frustrated and confused, Ravana asked his counselors for advise.

Counselor 1: "Ravana just take her against her will! You stole her, now make her yours!
 Ravana: "I don't want to force her. She must love me for who I am."
Counselor 2: "You don't want to force her yet you kidnapped her from her husband... I believe your logic is flawed my good sire."
Counselor 3: "He had no choice but to kidnap her. She was already married to Rama. He simply took the initiative and invited Sita to his house."
Counselor 2: "Why kidnap a married woman? And I believe there was no 'invitation.'"
Counselor 1: "Because Ravana deserves Sita! That's why he took her! Ravana deserves the best, and if he wants her then he can take her!"
Ravana: "She needs to realize that I am the better fit for her than Rama. If Rama really loved her, then he wouldn't have left her alone for me to kidnap. Therefore, my logic is on point."
Counselor 2: "Ravana, the deed is done. She's already here. But a path towards a woman's heart is complicated. You must be patient with her. You cannot expect her to fall in love with you when you took her against her will. In her eyes, you are the villain. You must show her your kind side."
Counselor 3: "That is a very good point. But don't you think that will be too time-consuming? Ravana has everything going for him. Money, power, good looks. Sita should be begging Ravana to make her his wife."
Counselor 1: "And she shall be his wife! Ravana just take her now! Rama was too kind to Sita. She will be attracted to your aggressiveness! Women love that."
Counselor 2: "You're an idiot. How did you get this job?"
Counselor 1: "I am primary counselor! I will have you sentenced to death!"
Ravana: "ENOUGH! Counselors, you have helped in my every time of need. There is still not a solution to make Sita love me. Please help me, or I shall replace all of you!"
Counselor 3: "I have an idea. Sita is in love with Rama. Why don't we just kill Rama? Then she will have no one to love except for Ravana. He will comfort her which will show kindness. One thing leads to another and BAM! Sita is your wife."
Counselor 2: "That's insanity."
Counselor 1: "That's genuis."
Ravana: "That's the solution! Tonight I will kill Rama and make Sita mine! Thank you good counselors. You have once again saved me with your advice."

Ravana then exits his palace to prepare for battle.

Counselor 2: "You know Sita will just hate Ravana even more."
Counselor 1: "Yeah but women love bad men."
Counselor 3: "It's kings like him who can't think for themselves is the reason why we're employed."

My take on Counselor 1, 2, and 3 (aka The Fates). Source.


Author's Note: In the original story, Ravana kidnapped Sita from Rama while Rama hunted for a golden deer for Sita. When Sita resided in Ravana's palace, Ravana attempted to persuade Sita in becoming his wife. According to the story, Ravana never wanted Sita as his wife unless she wanted to. He didn't believe that he should be forceful with her, which is ironic since he kidnapped her.
I decided to write about Ravana's dilemma of how to make Sita fall in love with him. In Sita sings the Blues, Ravana was described as a good person until he kidnapped Sita. I tried to portray his "kindness" with the fact that he refuses to force himself on Sita, but of course since he's the villain I made him believe that killing Rama was the only solution. The reason I wrote about three counselors was because several kings do have some sort of counseling staff or a group of advisers. I chose three counselors, each with a different attitude. Counselor 1 is the aggressive type while Counselor 2 is more reasonable. Counselor 3 is the middle ground between Counselor 1 and Counselor 2. I imagined the counselors to be like the Hades' counselors of Past, Present, and Future (which explains the image). Whether Ravana actually succeeds in killing Rama is up to the reader.

Bibliography: Sita Sings the Blues by Nina Paley

2 comments:

  1. What a unique way to write a story! The discussion between the three counselors is a clever way to tell the tale, and I like that you got the idea from the Fates. I like the subjects of your image, but it is dark and low-quality. I always have good luck using Flickr to find images if you need another place to look for photos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed reading your script for the counselors. It was a little more fun to read than a storyline would have been. I also appreciated the usage of a comic relief towards the end of the story. It allowed the reading to stay engaged until the very last moment. The reference to the past, present, and future counselors was also very interesting. I also agree with Carey that another photo would present your story better.

    ReplyDelete