Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Growth Mindset Week 4

I decided to try the writing challenge for this week's Growth Mindset post. Over my college career, I have always been the type of person to do every assignment as early as I can. I cannot procrastinate. Leaving assignments or studying to the last minute is not part of my work ethic. Some people may see this as a positive attribute, but it also has its down side. For example, I stress over completing assignments early therefore I stay up late to finish them early. If I don't finish an assignment early, I feel like the world is crashing on me. So for my writing challenge, I decided to write my storytelling post an hour before the deadline. I wanted to experience the time pressure of submitting the post on time and see how it would affect my writing. It really did affect it. I was constantly looking at the clock which distracted me from actually writing a coherent story. The story that I wrote wasn't my best work at all. A reader could definitely tell that I rushed it. My story lacked creativity and a concrete plot. In all sincerity, my story looked like word vomit. So what I've learned is that I don't write well under pressure. Maybe that's why I start my writing early so I can brainstorm ideas while I type and edit. Lesson learned: do not write under pressure. It's just not for me.

Cats learn too! Source

1 comment:

  1. Nicole, I absolutely love this post!!!!!!!! And I have to laugh, too, because for you procrastination meant doing the storytelling an hour before the deadline... you didn't even use the grace period! So for some people, what you did would count as doing it EARLY and not procrastinating at all. It's all relative! But I definitely find myself in the same situation that you are in: if I am doing work under a deadline, I never do good work and it always takes more time because I can tell the work is not good and I get anxious about that AND about the time, and on and on. I know some people swear there is a good adrenaline rush that comes from working by the deadline, but I like feeling in control of things. Now if I could just get myself a time-travel machine so that I could REALLY be in control of time, life would be perfect! Or... Hermione's time-turner like in Harry Potter! I am guessing that is a device you and I would use very responsibly!

    Happy Friday!!!

    ReplyDelete