Monday, September 14, 2015

Reading Diary A: Sita sings the Blues

I began watching the first half of Sita sings the Blues, and my first impression of it was that it was very trippy. The introduction shows Lakshmi rising from the ocean with a peacock-shaped phonograph. Then the scene shifts to outer space where where see a several gods such as Surya, Shesha, and Chandra. Moving along, three Indian narrators begin to tell the story of Rama. It's pretty entertaining because the narrators argue with one another about characters. They summarize how Dasharatha has three wives and four sons, and how Kaikeyi demanded the king to banish Rama from the kingdom. Then there is a skit of Sita singing an old song, describing her devotion to Rama. The narrators then describe Ravana. I didn't know that Ravana was a loyal king to his country. As the narrators described him, Ravana was so devoted to Vishnu that he played a musical instrument with his intestines. Honestly, what made him evil was when he kidnapped Sita from Rama. Hanuman, the reincarnation of Shiva, joins Rama to help on his journey to find Sita. With his great leaping powers, Hanuman jumps to Lanka. I was surprised to see how bloody the battle scene was between the monkey army and the demons that guarded Lanka. It reminded me of Happy Tree Friends because of all the bloody animation and dark humor. Then came the scene where Sita and Rama finally reunite. The video depicted the scene exactly how I wrote my storytelling post! Rama fought a war to rescue his wife then just rejected her because he questioned her purity. Overall, I enjoyed the humor and the sound effects of the video. I laughed out loud a few times in the library which was quite embarrassing. Also, the animation in the movie was really neat. Everything had a bold and simple shape to it. I cant wait to finish the rest!

Sita sings the Blues poster. Source.

No comments:

Post a Comment