Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Storytelling Week 3: Sita - The Girl on Fire

Rama was the man of the hour! The gods rejoiced in the heavens because Rama fulfilled his destiny of defeating Ravana with his powerful Brahma-blessed weapon. The mighty hero searched for his lost love, the beautiful Sita, in Lanka where she was held hostage. After searching high and low, Hanuman guided Rama to the tree where he last saw Sita. Sita recognized Rama from a distance and ran to her husband. She felt an overwhelming amount of mixed emotions: happiness, comfort, and most of all love. She had dreamed of her rescue every night. Finally my husband returns to me! Once I'm in his arms, the pain and despair that Ravana brought upon me will melt away, thought Sita. She sprinted across the field with open arms to feel her husband's warmth and security that she longed for. Just as she was about to hug her true love, Rama stretch his hand in front of to stop Sita.

Rama: "Whoaa now.. Easy there, Missy."
Sita: "Rama what's wrong? Why won't you embrace me? It's been so long, and I have been through the worst pain without you."
Rama: "Yeah ok ya see I'd like to believe that, but you've had company."
Sita: "Company? Rama, the city of Lanka was no friend to me. I have been alone."
Rama: "Well there was always your best friend Ravana..."
Sita: "...Are you serious..?"
Rama: "Listen I know you have needs, and Ravana is a good-looking guy. You were alone with him for awhile. Things could have happened."
Sita: "IS THAT WHAT YOU THINK OF ME?! I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU!"
Rama: "Calm down, woman! He tried to make you leave me! Am I wrong for assuming? I'm just trying to protect my honor."
Sita: "What have I ever done to you to make you question my loyalty! I have loved you and cared for you since the first day I saw you! I have been the most faithful wife to you, but here you are denying me? This in unbelievable."
Rama: "I still love you, Sita. I just want you to prove yourself to me. All I'm asking is for you to walk through fire so I know that you're pure. It's not so bad."
Sita: "........."
Rama: "You're making this a bigger deal than it has to be. Just walk through the fire."
Sita: "What if I die Rama? You're going to let me burn to death because your jealous mind is clouding your reasoning?"
Rama: "If you have been faithful then you won't die. If you have been unfaithful, then you deserve to die. It makes sense to me."
Sita: "You're incredibly despicable. What if I accused you for infidelity and made you walk through fire!"
Rama: "That's different. I'm a good person so I would never cheat on you."
Sita: "If this fire doesn't kill me, I'm going to kill you."
Rama: "Uh huh love you too. Now walk!"

Sita felt the heat of the flames from a few feet away. She looked at her husband who kept urging her to walk through the inferno. Sita was infuriated with her husband's accusations, but mostly, she was depressed with the revelation that Rama may not be the same person she fell in love with. My Rama would never do this to me... Before she took her first step towards the fire, the gods saved her from burning and proved her fidelity to Rama.

Rama: "Sita you're pure! My dear Sita I never doubted you for a second!"

Rama opened his arms to embrace Sita, but she stepped away.

Rama: "Eh.. Why aren't you hugging me..?"
Sita: "I think we should see other people."
Rama: "What do you mean? It's us. It has always been us."
Sita: "Not anymore. Bye Felicia."

Then Sita walks off into the sunset, towards her kingdom.


Sita Walking in the Flame. Source


Author's Note: I decided to write about Rama's confrontation with Sita about her infidelity.In the original story, Rama was guided to Sita by Hanuman. He rejects Sita because he questions her purity. In order to prove herself to her husband, Sita walks through fire but is saved by the fire god Agni. At this point, Rama acknowledges Sita's purity and accepts her as his wife.
       In my story, I gave Sita some attitude and sass. Instead of being submissive, Sita was had more fire in her soul and actually talked back to Rama with a fierce tone. For once, Sita stood up for herself. I was shocked at Sita's reaction when I read this chapter because I believed Sita would defend herself because she was always a faithful wife. My goal of this story was to have Sita gain control of her life. I wanted to protray her as an independent woman who has zero tolerance for controlling husbands. I'm pretty biased on the topic because I have experienced the consequences of a jealous, controlling boyfriend. Also, I took the story to the extreme and added more modern dialogue. In my story, I had Sita leave Rama which reveals her strength and independence.

Bibliography: Public Domain Edition of Ramayan  Myths of the Hindus and Buddhists by Sister Nivedita (1914) Testing Sita.



4 comments:

  1. Your storytelling is very attractive; the part I like most is the dialogues.

    Sita was missing his husband so much that she ran to Rama and wanted to hug him. However, Rama questioned her loyalty and did not give her a hug. It reads like a common conversation between a controlling boyfriend and his girlfriend. Walking in fire sounds crucial for proving, but it might be okay within the Ramayana’s story setting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Nicole Rodriguez! I thought your story was extremely funny. I like how you made Rama and Sita’s dialogue more modern. I was also wondering why Rama would make Sita walk through the fire after all she has been through. In your story she does not take Rama’s insults to her faithfulness. She proves that she did not cheat on Rama and then breaks up with him. Good twist to the story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha, at the end of the story you wrote “Bye Felicia”, that cracked me up. I really liked your theme. Sita didn’t doubt Rama, but Rama was being ridiculous and wanted Sita to walk through fire to prove her purity. I liked how you added dialogues and gave it a modern twist. I liked the moral of your story, you made Sita look more independent and gave her the power to save herself, than being a damsel in distress.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nicole, I loved reading your story! I really like how you used dialogues throughout the story. I thought the story was funny especially when Sita says "Bye Felicia" because I've heard you say it so many times in person. I love how you portrayed Sita. Instead of being the one needing saving and help, I was able to see who she was which was an independent and capable woman that is not completely reliant on Rama. Overall, I really enjoyed reading your story and hope to read more!

    ReplyDelete