Thursday, September 10, 2015

Storybook Styles: Love Stories

Topic: I decided that I will write my storybook on love stories/epic couples. The couples that I have in mind so far are Dasharatha and Kaikeyi, Rama and Sita, and Shakuntala and Dushyanta. I'm still deciding on my fourth couple. I am trying to construct a storybook that teaches a different lesson on relationships. For Dasharatha and Kaikeyi, I imagine the lesson to be something along the lines of betrayal within a relationship. Rama and Sita's story can teach a lesson in fidelity. I'm still brainstorming what Shakuntala and Dushyanta can teach.

Bibliography:
1). Dasharatha and Kaikeyi from Indian Myth and Legend by Donald A. Mackenzie (1913)
2).  Sita Tested from Myths of the Hindus and Buddhists by Sister Nivedita (1914).
3). Shakuntala: The Forgotten Wife by Dolat H. Doongaji & A. K. Doongaji (1970).

Possible Styles

In general, I'm leaning towards a first-person style with a frametale. The connection between the couples will be simple, such as relationship lessons found in a book.

Thoughts of each Individual. I read a storybook where a girl reads through a diary and discovers the love story between Sita and Rama. I'd like to adapt to her style except I want to present each individual's point of view on the relationship. What I had in mind is that I would draft an internal monologue for each character that reflects the dilemma in their marriage. For instance, I would write Kaikeyi's thoughts on her marriage which she may think is failing compared to Dasharatha's thoughts on the marriage which he may think there is no problem. I'm excited to play with this idea with Shakuntala and Dushyanta since Dushyanta's memory of his wife is erased.

Counseling the couples. Narrating a couple's therapy storybook would be challenging which is why I'm not too excited about this style. It would definitely be interesting to give each couple advice. I was thinking that a counselor would identify the problem and provide a healthy solution that requires commitment and communication. In this way, it would easier to convey a lesson or moral about relationships.

Self Realization. Based on other people's experiences, there is always a self realization or an epiphany that gives insight into oneself after a relationship terminates. I thought it would be a neat idea to show how each individual reaches a "self-realization" moment during their hardships in their relationship. In that way, I can write a lesson such as "Love yourself first" or "Become independent." I like this storybook style more than others because it allows me to brainstorm conflicts within individuals such as low self-esteem, jealousy issues, body image, or arrogance.

Mutual Growth. This style might be considered the opposite of the self realization theme. With this style, can show how each individual grows with their significant other as one couple. This can convey the meaning that one partner can learn from the other to strengthen the relationship. For example, a husband may teach his short-tempered wife how to be patient.




The theme of epic couples. Source.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment