Saturday, August 29, 2015

Week 1 Curation

My life has changed! I have always kept multiple tabs opened to keep track of my online sources which made my browser really congested. As a science major, I have to write several formal lab reports, and each lab report requires multiple sources to introduce the topic and the hypothesis in question. Once I found appropriate scientific papers, I never wanted to close the tabs because I feared that I would never find the article again! Therefore, I kept all of my tabs opened all the time until I turned in my lab report. My "solution" to the problem was to copy and past the URLs into a word document. Then I'd open the word document and click on all the links again in separate tabs. However, I felt like this solution caused me to do more work, so I went back to keeping all of my tabs opened...UNTIL TODAY! All I have to do is bookmark my sources and organize them in their appropriate bookmark folder. I already have a lab folder created for my future bookmarks! For the first time, my browser doesn't have 20+ tabs opened. This is my first experience with a curation technique, and I was not disappointed!

Never in my life did I expect that Pinterest would be part of my homework! My favorite Pinterest board is titled Imagination. It includes a whole range of art such as street art, surrealism, photography, sculptures, watercolor and anything that captures my attention. Here is one of my favorite Imagination pin:


Harikrishnan Panicker and Deepti Nair create cut paper shadow boxes, illuminated with battery powered lights.

Harikrishnan Panicker and Deepti Nair create cut paper shadow boxes, illuminated with battery powered lights. Source.

I find it fascinating that people can take a simple material, such as copy paper, and transform it into a delicate artwork! I never really been a social media person because it can be distracting, but I enjoy Pinterest since it focuses on sharing ideas rather than updating statuses.

No comments:

Post a Comment