Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Epics of India Overview

I enrolled into this class because a good friend of mine recommended it. I needed to be enrolled in twelve hours to receive my scholarship, and I wanted to take a class that broadened my horizon. She jokingly commented that it would give me insight on my Indian friends. Just to point out, 95% of my friends are South Indian so I have been exposed to their culture quite a bit. I have been picking up on some Malayalam (one of the many languages spoken in India). I tend to engorge myself on their delicious Indian food like chicken biriyani, and I have also listened to their music. Most of my friends danced in OU's Indian Night festival and for Diwali Night (the festival of lights). Over the years, I have learned that my culture is extremely different from their culture. My parents were born and raised in Colombia so I assimilated to Colombian culture. At first, mixing a Colombian among Indians was a culture shock. Each culture has a different view on marriage, religion, and career paths. Although there are differing perspectives, we bond over common ground and learn from one another. The image below is of Arjuna and Krishna. I picked it because my friend's cousin was named Krishna, and it was interesting to see an image of the god that he was named after.

Arjuna and Krishna

No comments:

Post a Comment