Monday, August 31, 2015

Reading Diary B: Published Domain Ramayana

In Bharata Returns, I found it surprising that Bharata didn't share his mother's perspective on his good fortune on becoming the crowned prince. In fact, he was so depressed that his older brother was exiled that he called his own mother an "evil-hearted woman." I found it noble that Bharata was willing to find his brother in the jungle and return him to his rightful place on the throne. This appeals to me because I am a huge believer in brotherhood and siblingship since I am close to my younger brother.

I also liked the story of Viradha because it's like the two musketeers rescuing the third musketeer. Rama and Lakshmana have to defeat the demon, Viradha aka Tumburu, who abducted Sita. Rama and Lakshmana could not defeat Viradha with sharp weapons so they buried him into a pit. However, when they buried the demon, a curse was broken. Viradha was cursed by Kubera and the only way to break the curse was to have Rama defeat him. Oddly, the demon found salvation in his death. This reminds me of some religious beliefs that life itself is suffering and death is the salvation that leads to heaven.

The story of Shurpanakha and Rama was peculiar because a female demon named Shurpanakha falls in love with Rama. I never imagined a demon falling in love a human... Even worse she tried to convince Rama to leave Sita. Shurpanakha was really adamant of having Rama as her husband. She said "I have chose thee for my husband, and thou shalt rule over my great empire.... I must devour Sita and thy brother, so that er may range the jungle together and visit the lofty hills." What's crazy is that Rama practically tells the demon Hey I'm taken but my brother isn't! This doesn't sit well with Shurpanakha so she tries to attack Sita.The demon lady also calls on her brother Khara to capture the three royals.

Rama is so devoted to Sita that he attempts to capture the golden deer for her. The golden deer, however, is Maricha in disguise. Maricha diguises his voice by imitating Rama and calls out to Sita and Lakshmana. Rama successfully slays Maricha, but Sita is worried about Rama. She fears that he might be and trouble: "If Rama is slain I will die by drowning, or by poison, or else by the noose. I cannot live without Rama." Her devotion to Rama is beautiful and rare.

Rama and the Golden Deer. Source.


No comments:

Post a Comment