Monday, August 24, 2015

Introduction, Week 1

Hi everyone! My name is Nicole Rodriguez, and I am studying Microbiology with a minor in Spanish and Chemistry. My goal is to attend medical school and become a cardiovascular surgeon. Outside of school, I'm usually with my two favorite goons in the world: My younger brother Erik and my best cousin Isabella. Together we make the three amigos! Or more like a trio searching for trouble... My best memories are with my brother and cousin. They are my biggest supporters and also my closest family. I share everything with Erik and Isabella from dreams to secrets to insecurities to food! They are both a couple years younger than me, but sometimes they can be more mature than I am. We seem to balance each other pretty well. Erik is a very talented musician. He also makes a great debater. What I really love about my brother is that he is a great listener. Any time of day or night, he'll be all ears, no matter how petty the problem is. Isabella is also a great listener. She's very independent, ambitious, and goal oriented. My cousin and I can talk on the phone for hours every single day, so we try to limit every phone call. Unlike Erik and me, Isabella is an introvert. It's a necessity for her to have her alone time. What I love the most about our trio is that we always have fun regardless of location or activity. From sitting in the living room to adventuring in new cities, we always make the nights memorable. With them, I have experienced epiphanies, tears, and side-splitting laughter. I would never sacrifice my memories with my family for anything in the world. To me, they're more than a brother and a cousin, they're more like my miracles that I'm blessed to have in my life.

The two best people in the world! Isabella on the left and Erik on top. Personal Photo.
They may be the craziest people I have met but with their insanity comes inspiration. I wouldn't be the person I am today if it wasn't for them.

Update: Thank you to all who have commented below! I just wanted to give an update on my introduction and answer some questions. Some of the cities that we have some funny adventures include Dallas, Tulsa, San Francisco, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, Houston, Castro Valley, Monterrey, Phoenix, West Palm Beach, Miami, and so much more. My brother and I love to do road trips so we have driven everywhere. One of the coolest memories I have with my brother was when we visited Cali, Colombia (where my family originally is from). Colombia is really different from the United States in that there is ALWAYS something to do. The night life in Colombia is so much fun! There is so much dancing, food, friends, and laughs. One night while we were visiting Lago Calima, Erik and I were just moseying down the street and singing Saturday Night by the Misfits at the top of our lungs. We attracted some attention and met this one guy named Gayo (translates into Rooster). Gayo and Erik really hit it off because they both played the guitar. So we spent the rest of the night just talking and playing music! It was really awesome! I believe the best moments in life are the ones that are unplanned. Erik and I didn't have a plan that night, and we made memories that will last a lifetime.

I'm pretty lucky to have my two goons in my life. I just have to make sure to keep my phone away because this is what happens:


My cousin and brother hacking my phone. Personal Photo.



I won't lie. It made me laugh! Some exciting news, my cousin will be attending OU next semester! Norman will never be the same now!

21 comments:

  1. You are so lucky to have these great companions in your life, Nicole! As you will see when you get into the epics, the theme of siblings (like Rama and Lakshmana) is huge, and so is the theme of really intense friendships (like Arjuna and Krishna... which gives us the Bhagavad-Gita, one of the most sacred texts of India). So keep an eye out for those stories and characters as you meet them: it sounds like you will really be able to relate! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How great to read about your cousin and brother! My brother and I are separated by fifteen years, so I've always wondered what it would be like to have a sibling closer in age. Definitely wouldn't trade him for the world, though! I admire your goal to go to med school- I have several friends going through that process now, and I can tell that it's tough. Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's great to see how close you are to your family! And they must feel so lucky to have you as well. I was actually going to study Microbiology when I started here at OU and I did research on Staph infections for about a year and a half, but I realized I was much more passionate about languages, so I switched halfway through freshman year. I still miss being in the lab though. Best of luck with your studies and med school applications!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nicole!!!! I am so glad I got to know you better this year and also meet your younger brother! I have not met your cousin Isabella yet but hopefully I will this year! You are one of the smartest and hardworking people I know! I would trust you to be my surgeon any day! I am sad that you are graduating soon! Norman is not gonna be the same without you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, Nicole!

    It was such a joy to read your introduction post and about how much you love your family! My older sister is named Nicole, so it made me happy to see we share the same love for our relatives! ☺

    Microbiology must be so interesting, but I can’t imagine how difficult it must be at the same time! I truly admire your dedication! I’m sure that you will be a wonderful cardiovascular surgeon someday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Nicole! You guys are so cute! It’s really sweet that you all are tight-knit and close with each other. You have a really impressive learning and career track ahead of you. I’m always just blown away by the amount of tenacity and determination that pre-med students have. It’s so great that you want to go into a field to help people!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Nicole! I think it's really great that you have such great ambitions, I don't know about you, but I have a passion for languages and eventually I plan on learning Spanish too. You're really lucky to have two family members that are also friends, and it's great that you guys are so close! it really makes me miss my own cousins from when we were children and so close. It's great to get to know you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so glad to see you have these wonderful family members. I have a younger sister who is 10 years younger than I am. The big age difference makes us hard to have a mutual interest. She likes more to make up every day. I am however a video game player; I play them during holidays but she always wants me to travel with her. As a brother, I am glad to take care of her when we travel to other places.

    Being a cardiovascular surgeon can be challenge, but I think you can make it because your families are always be there to support you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Nicole Rodriguez! I also share your dream of going to medical school and becoming a physician. Are you a Senior as well? I think we have had a class or two together. It is cool how you are so close to your family. I also share a similar bond with my cousins and my sister. Good luck on the semester.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awwww, that is “shoo” cute. I love that picture of you three! Where am I in the picture? Jk jk! It makes me so happy to see cousins and family members are more than just their titles in the family. Btw, what happened to Erick’s beard? I think I like this look on him more than the beard  You will make the best cardiovascular surgeon.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello Nicole! Friends make life so much more interesting and fun. It is great that you are so close to your brother and cousin. Growing up, my cousins were some of my best friends, we always had a good time together. I know how nice it is to have a brother; I have a brother that is ten years younger than me.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really liked reading your introduction! You can tell a lot about a person from how they describe the people they are closest too. I can tell that family, communication, and having a great time is important to you - as well as your two friends! It's nice to meet you, Nicole! I hope you have a great rest of your semester.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nicole!
    I loved the fact that you are extremely close to your brother and your cousin. Even though my mom waited 10 years after I was born to have my sister, I wouldn't trade her for anything in the world. I sometimes wish that we were close to the same age, because I'm not suppose to talk to my sister about everything, but I still do. My little sister is the one person who holds all my secrets, helps me plot against our mom, and is a true ride or die.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love that you talked about those around you who make you you! Isn't it great to have wonderful people to go through life with? What are some of the adventurous cities you have visited? It sounds like you are passionate about your field and have a plan.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think it's so awesome you have such big aspirations. It seems like a lot of people in this class have hopes of becoming a doctor one day! I have so much respect for that, and you should be so proud of yourself for coming as far as you have! I'm sure you will do great things. I love that you are so close to you brother and cousin. Family is everything to me, so I definitely understand where you are coming from!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I think that is so sweet that you are so close to your brother and cousin. My two sisters and my cousin are my best friends too so I understand how important that relationship is! I think that it is awesome that your goal is to become a doctor. The support of your family should definitely help you in that aspect. Good luck with the rest of the semester!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Nicole,
    It sounds like you have a tough schedule with your major and minors. It sounds like you have a lot of fun with you cousin and brother. It is really cool that you have such a close relationship with them. I agree that memories with family are very important. I hope that you have a good semester and reach your goals.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Nicole, that's great that you want to go to medical school some day to be a surgeon! I used to want to go to med school but decided that would be way too much school to endure so I decided to do engineering instead, good on you for willing to stick with it through all of the years of school though! That's awesome that you are so close with your family. I have a younger sister that I am extremely close with and feels more like a friend than a sibling, so I can totally relate. I hope you have a great semester and good luck with the rest of your classes along the way!

    ReplyDelete
  20. How sweet is this post! I love how close you three are, and all of the special memories you share! Thank you so much for sharing about the people you love most, I really think it helps us understand more about you! I am also close with my family, especially my brother and sister. Unfortunately, my brother moved to Houston. I wish more than anything that we could all live in the same city some day!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Nicole, it is nice to semi meet you! I am a Spanish minor to. Do you enjoy your Spanish classes? I have loved my. I really liked looking at your pictures they are a lot of fun. I am interested that you want to go to medical school. What a great dream! I am getting ready to go to law school. I sent out my applications this weekend. Good luck in the future!

    ReplyDelete