Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Storybook Favorites

All the storybooks were very creative and amusing, but the first storybook that caught my attention was Tales of Lingering Souls. I love reading horror stories even though I can't sleep later that night due to fear. The storybook consists of tales of souls of different people and objects. The most interesting chapter was the Soul of a Sobbing Man. It was about the soul of a man who is desperately seeking for his son who was kidnapped from him. The author posted the wife's diary entries that gave insight to the plot which I thought was a creative touch on the story. I didn't have the chance to read through the other chapters yet but their titles sound eerie such as the Soul of the Dying. The introduction didn't explain the chapters, in fact there was no introduction, but I prefer it that way because it adds mystery.

Tales of Lingering Souls by Hoang Truong


Another storybook that was interesting was named 1000 Ways to Die: Demon Edition which appealed to me because I used to watch that show! It was a guilty pressure, but it was a show that intrigued both my brother and me. Back to the storybook, the introduction began with the same introduction from the show, and I thought that was pretty funny. The author wrote about the Asuras and Rakshasas also known as demons that tormented people. Each chapter tells a story about how each demon dies because the "good guys", Rama and Bhima, destroys the demon. In general, the storybook's main theme is good vs. evil, a theme that is as old as time yet never boring.

Spy vs. Spy by Brad Kozak. This is what I imagined for good vs. evil.

The last story that I thought was fascinating was formatted as a radio station called 102.6 BTRL Radio. The channel was targeted specifically towards listeners who have been hurt by other people through betrayal. For example, one of the chapters is about a queen named Kaikeyi who was betrayed by her maid. Another chapter is about Vibhishana who is actually the betrayer and not the betrayed. Reading a story from two different perspectives was an interesting aspect.

No comments:

Post a Comment